Thursday, July 15, 2010

Uganda, May 26th, 27th, 28th and 29th (2010)

A Few Journal Excerpts:

5-26-10
“On the plane from Atlanta to London. About 5ish hours away still. Right now there is a simply beautiful lightning storm below us. BEAUTIFUL. It’s amazing how from underneath the storm clouds, everything seems so threatening. From above, it’s so small, you can’t even hear its noise. It’s just a beautiful masterpiece. Ephesians 2:4 “But God being rich in mercy, because of the great love with which He loved us, even when we were dead in our sins, made us alive together with Christ-by grace you have been saved- and raised us up with Him and seated us with Him in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus, so that in the coming ages He might show the immeasurable riches of His grace in kindness toward us in Christ Jesus.” We can see all things with a higher perspective because of Christ giving us new life and new eyes. Thank you Jesus. Give me your eyes to see what you would have me see in all things.”
5-27-10
Facts about London:
Pedestrians do NOT have the right of way…that’s about it.
We walked all around town today. We saw Big Ben, West Minster Abbey, and we went on the Eye of London. We ate some fish and chips at a precious little pub and then headed back to the airport on the tube. The architecture there is beautiful. Overall, a pretty great day trip with the brother and some new friends. :) Found a shower in the airport and I feel cleaner than I think I’ve ever felt in my whole life. It must be psychological but it’s still amazing. We’re now on the flight to Kenya where we will have a 6 hour layover and then a 1 ½ hour flight to UGANDA!!! I cannot wait! Thank you Lord for these opportunities.
Crazy eyes on the London Eye. P.S. That chocolate that I bought in London was the wisest investment I think I ever made.
Flight to Kenya is slightly delayed because of foxes on the runway. Our lovely pilot said so kindly in his African accent “It will be about five minutes until we leave because they are trying to chase off some foxes.”
5-28-10 Kenya Layover = extremely long and not very exciting.
Except for a miracle.
I went to exchange some money to pay for my visa for once we get to Uganda. I was searching my chaotic backpack (that I’ve been living out of for three days now) for my wallet and began attempting to reorganize it. Sadly, it was a failed attempt at reorganizing. I ended up putting my passport organizer on the money exchange counter and LEFT IT THERE. Epic lame move of the year. I had gone to the bathroom and an extremely honest man, who must have loved Jesus, found my brother and asked where I was. He was like “Umm, Whyyyy?” The man had seen us together and figured my passport would be safe with him. I had over $100, my passport, and my atm card in there. Luckily I had copies of my passport but you can’t exactly make copies of cash money. The Lord is a miracle worker for certain.
Who knows what date it really was...
Finally in Uganda! It’s breathtakingly beautiful. We went and got settled into our guest house, drove around the city a bit and went to the grocery store.
I had forgotten how heartbreaking it is to see babies begging in the street. There were multiple children begging tonight but one in particular ripped my heart in half. She must have been about 2 or 3 years old. My sisters’ ages. She was absolutely precious. Most people’s little girls at her age would probably be at ballet class right now in a pink tutu instead of in a street begging for money in shredded rags. Some things I don’t think I’ll ever understand. And I’m sure God can’t stand those things. She eyed us from the median and dodged two lanes of fast moving cars to get to our bus. Her little eyes didn’t even glance at the cars that were grazing her small body; I doubt anyone has ever taught her to look both ways before crossing. She came up to our window and reached up her little hands to our half open windows. It was all I could do to keep from sobbing or snatching her up to come with us. God, you know how many curly little hairs are on her sweet head and I just beg that you would protect her from harm and show her just how valuable she is to you. I thank you for allowing me to hurt for what hurts you. Move me to action and please don’t ever let me stop. Thank you for bringing beauty up out of ashes. Thank you for using what the enemy means for evil for good.
We also visited a mosque tonight. I hurt so badly for these people that have set their whole lives around something they believe to be truth. They are lacking joy and you can just see the worry all over each of their faces. My heart breaks for them and I pray that their eyes will be opened and that the good news of the freedom in Christ will reach their ears and hearts!
5-29-10
So, I just woke up in the complete dark to the sound of a Muslim prayer on a loud speaker and I’m soaking wet. (Hahaha. Oh where to begin explaining...) 1. Muslim prayer on loud speaker. I was heartbroken for them last night. This morning I’m even more heartbroken. That poor man is in such bondage that he has to wake up every morning before the crack’o’dawn and sing on a loud speaker. (some mornings the man was more talented than other mornings.) 2. It took me a while to figure out what in tar-nation has happened to make me soaking wet. Turns out, I fell asleep on my half opened, nearly full water bottle and it is now still half opened but only has a few drops left in it. I managed to lay on it and squeeze all the water all over me. I was terrified that I had somehow been in such a deep sleep that I had gone and peed myself. Praise you Jesus.
P.S. African soda is like, ten thousand times better than American soda. As in: I hate soda at home and love it here. We ought to use cane sugar in our soda. For. Reals. We also need to start importing Stoney…now that is what I’m talkin’ about. It’s a ginger root soda that is muy delicioso. And...Yes, sometimes I do praise Jesus in my journal for allowing me to not pee myself in a foreign bed in a foreign land.
More stories coming tomorrow!

1 comments:

natali said...

oh my goodness! haha. i love this - the whole seeing you process everything and me being able to hear about the wonderful miracles and very humorous stories! i totally would've laughed out loud while reading this if my parents were not asleep in the next room. haha! :D

and my heart breaks for that little girl too. gosh, it hurts having my heart break for what breaks His, but it's oh so worth it. :)